Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Burda

For Mother's Day last year, I got a subscription to Burda World of Fashion magazine. And I love getting it, although it seems as though there's an every other month pattern of including patterns I'd actually wear. Or make, I guess. There were a couple of coat patterns that I adored, but the likelihood that I will make myself a nice wool coat is low, mostly because I already have one. Anyway, in all this time, I've never actually made anything out of the magazine, even when I liked things. No real reason why, I guess, other than that tracing the patterns (and figuring out which lines to trace!) seemed like a pain.

But in the last few days, I finally made something! It's from the December 2009 issue, and it's a hooded shirt (pattern 122). I used a super soft jersy-ish knit from Joann's, and this is how it turned out:
(There aren't any weird horizontal lines on the shirt, by the way; the camera was doing something funny.)
Back view, including the hood:
(Oh, I finally figured out how to use the timer on my camera, so these are timer shots. Ignore the goofy smiles.)

I quite like how this turned out - it's comfy and casual and cute. It was kind of a pain to make, though - there were supposed to be bands along the opening in the front. However, I read the instructions for that part literally 15-20 times and couldn't figure out what they were talking about. I finally gave up, folded that bit over, and sewed it together. My plan was just to make a dart there, but I had trouble getting it to lie flat, so I finally stitched a line down the entire front of the shirt. I may re-do that, because there's still a funny little bubble in that area, but it's much better. If I make it again, I'm just going to do a placket there - it would be much easier, and I think it would be more successful.

The sleeves are quite long, but that's mostly because I forgot how much seam allowance I put on there. And I actually kind of like them long with this anyway, so it works for me. I think this will be a great top to take along as a cover-up when we go to Hawaii in March!

And now I'm inspired to try some other patterns from my magazines. :) There's a skirt in the same issue that I think will be next, although it's probably a bad choice, because I think it's probably pretty tricky. So cute, though! Although I should really make the girls' Valentine's Day dresses first - it's coming right up! At least those go together pretty quickly, especially since I got a bunch of the good clear elastic from my co-op. In fact, maybe I'll get to work on those now, since I have a bit of time before M gets out of school....

No comments: