Sunday, July 6, 2008

470 inches (or 39.16 feet)


That's how long the tiers of this patchwork circle skirted dress would be, if you stretched them all out next to one another. Almost 40 feet! The ruffle alone was 131/2 feet.

I'm all into patchwork skirts at the moment. I had made a patchwork circle skirt for her a while back. (Seen below in it's full circle-ness...)

She loves it, and I started playing around with the idea of a rainbow one for M. Which, of course, meant that I had to make one for A as well, and somehow hers got done first. I'm not sure how that happened.

Anyway, I quite like the effect of the patchwork, and who doesn't like a nice twirly skirt, but wow, it was a pain at the end. Gathering the 13ish feet of ruffle took some doing. (Although elastic tape is the greatest invention ever for gathering. It doesn't look quite as good as properly gathering the fabric, in my opinion, but it's SO much easier.) And of course, I had to go buy extra fabric for the patchwork, since I really only had enough for M's dress in the first place, and A is so tall that it had to be longer than I was expecting.

The thing that took the most time was the bodice, since I radically changed a bodice pattern that I had, and it didn't go quite as smoothly as I would have liked. It ended up working out fine - it's cute, and pretty much what I was aiming for - but there was quite a bit of seam ripping and re-sewing involved.

But hey, she's happy, and she looks pretty darn cute in it, so it all worked out. Now I have to get up the energy to do M's!!

No comments: