Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Baby carriers

When M was a baby/young toddler, I was really into babywearing and baby carriers. Bought a lot, sold a lot, owned a lot. ;) Our babywearing isn't as frequent anymore, but she does still ride on my back sometimes. ("I want to go in a carrier." A two year old saying carrier is *so cute*!) Anyway, in all that time of intense baby carrier addiction, I never really got into making the carriers myself. I made a pathetically bad mei tai (way too floppy, because at the time I had no idea what I was doing), and a tremendously uncomfortable pouch (still don't quite know what happened there). Lately, though, I've been admiring all the pretty DIY carriers on thebabywearer.com, and then I saw a free SSC (soft structured carrier) pattern on there. (Here's a link: http://www.lulu.com/content/2302753 .) So I decided to take the plunge.

And wow, I think the carrier makers deserve every penny that they charge! What a pain!

I think it's going to be a pretty carrier, assuming it's actually successful, but it certainly is a lot of work. I was just padding the straps (which are curved), and getting the fleece to lie flat is SO irritating! It'd be easier if I'd gone for straight straps, but I think the curved ones might help with my main problem with our current carrier. I guess I'll see how it goes, though. I hope it turns out okay, but at the moment I'm not entirely sure it will! Perhaps pictures will come sometime... :)

No comments: