Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Swim Skirt

Well, not actually a swim skirt, I suppose, but a cover-up to get me to the pool:
The plan is to wear this with my previously posted Heather Ross blouse over my swim suit while I walk to the pool.

I was at Joann's the other day, sans children (bliss!), and while there I noticed a sign that said Simplicity patterns were 2/$5. I'm a total pattern junkie (possibly even more than with fabric, if you can believe that!), so of course I sat down to look through them. I found this skirt (Simplicity 2608) which also includes yoga-ish lounge pants/shorts. I'm totally going to have to make some of those for around the house. So I picked up some interlock and whipped this up. It was very easy, I must say, although I think the tension on my serger might have been a little off for this fabric, because it's a big puckery on the seams. Since it's just a cover up, I don't really care, though.

I was also pleased to see that Simplicity is starting to expand the number of shirt/blouse patterns that include different cup sizes - it's nice to just be able to sew with a pattern, rather than having to adjust it every time. They even had a dress pattern that I almost got only because it not only included cup sizes, but it also had three different body types available. I thought that was cool. So, I got a couple of tops to try. I also learned that they have a decent price on Burda patterns (and the printed patterns include seam allowances, so I wouldn't have the problems from the last post!), so I got a couple of those - a shirt and a pair of capris.

As it turned out, the 2/$5 signs were mistakenly put out a week early by some Joann's employee, but happily they honored the price anyway. I was awfully confused by my initial total, though!!

Oh, speaking of the Burda pattern from the last time, I've actually made a number of adjustments to it. The zipper still needs a bit of work, but I think it's going to be very cute. I'm really beginning to think I need to get a dressform, though. It's a real pain to pin things on your own body, and Iestyn is completely wigged out by pinning things to me. I think he's afraid he'll poke me. So, at some point that would be a good thing.

For now, however, I have teacher gifts to make, since the end of school is very soon!

No comments: