Thursday, February 4, 2010

I really am dress-cursed

So, I did finish my dress yesterday. It's Burda 7696, and it's quite comfortable. However, it looks a lot better on the model than on me:

It's not terrible, I guess, but it just doesn't look that great. (Interestingly, it looks better in this picture than it did in the mirror.) Obviously, it wouldn't be hurt by some Spanx, but really it's more the neckline that just doesn't work. And the gathering seems like it should be closer to the bust, maybe? I don't know. I'm not loving it. (Except for the feel, which is lovely! It's that same super soft knit as my hooded shirt.) So, I'm going to have to fuss with it and see if I can fix it up somehow. One idea I had is this:

I think it's a little better, but I'm not sure. I need to play around with it. And I might shorten it a touch. I don't know. Any thoughts? Obviously I'm cursed! Although this one went a little better than usual, so I guess that's something...

And at least I can usually manage cuteness for the children:
The skort I mentioned in my last post. A was on her way to school, so I didn't have time to take a picture of hers. That's McCall's 4762, and I've had it forever. I did make the girls skorts from it once before, but these seem to have turned out better. I think I'll probably adapt it for some twirly skirts, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Skorts are just so much more practical for kids who are constantly doing handstands and climbing trees!

No comments: